Friday, April 29, 2011

Tornados...

Hey guys,
April 27 and April 28 have gone down as the most tornadic months in United States history.  Tornados ravaged the southern areas of the country leaving a path of destruction and death.  Hundreds of tornados stretching from Alabama all the way to upstate New York claiming the lives of over 300 people, and the death tolls are expected to rise as rescue workers begin to comb the debris.
Some tornados were reported as being over a mile wide with winds over 200 miles per hour.  Entire towns have been erased from the map, millions of people are without power or clean water and proper shelter and need help.
The National Guard has been mobilized in an effort to help those in the direst need.  President Obama has said that the Federal Government is going to help every single person affected by this tragedy, that the government will not forget them.  Hopefully we have learned from the mistakes of Hurricane Katrina on how we should help to take care of our own people…
Below are some links to pictures and videos of the tornados and the damage caused by them.
What can we do to help?  Post some ideas and maybe we can do our small part in helping some Americans in their time of tragedy and need.  
How can you help?
Photos and Videos


4 comments:

  1. I have some family that lives in Alabama, and I was quite scared for their safety during this string of tornadoes. While they were safe, it still made me think 'what if something did, in fact, happen to them?'

    I think we can help by, possibly, raising some money through canning. We did so to help the unforunate people of Japan after the earthquake and tsunami. I think it is only appropriate to do so for our country, as well. Our neighbors to the south are in time of need, and we must help them. If we raise some supplies and money, even if it is just one hundred dollars, it will help no matter what. Every penny counts. So, I say, let's start fundraising!

    -Jake M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin and friend live in Alabama, and all day yesterday I was so nervous that they were affected. They weren't affected but my cousin said it was really scary.

    I agree with what Jake said, even though canning wouldn't bring in enough money to help everyone in a huge way it would still help. This is something our school could really accomplish.

    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I don't understand how 2 days can be the most tornadic months... :) ...I do agree that these are horrific events and (as aforementioned) every little penny will help.

    However, the thing that caught my attention is that I didn't feel like I really knew as much about these tornadoes as I have with other natural disasters. It's weird - I kind of feel like after Katrina, American coverage on American natural disasters aren't as intense. Some even take a back seat to other news. Maybe it's just me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that we should raise money for our own country if we are going to be doing it for other countries. We managed to raise lots or money fro Haiti and for Japan so now its time to do the same for our country. I think canning is probably the best way to go.
    Melissa Ables

    ReplyDelete