Friday, March 4, 2011

Lots of stuff...

Hey guys,
At school today Mrs. Bennet and the AFS club hosted a little meet and greet for the many exchange students visiting the United States… it was great to see so many different students, from all over the world talking, sharing stories, and getting to know each other.  I’m grateful to Mrs. Bennet for organizing such a great event and program for Pilgrim High School.
During that meet and greet in the cafeteria , Mr. Fitzpatrick was having his sign up meeting for the tennis team as well, and members of the team had to fight for room in the cafeteria in order to get a spot so they could hear Mr. Fitzpatrick discuss the upcoming season.
In addition, there were several drama kids who stopped by briefly in order to get a quick snack and say hello before heading off to Mr. Denningham’s rehearsal for their upcoming play, Twelve Angry Jurors.  Some of those same drama kids were relieved that I had cancelled Mock Trial for day so they could go to both rehearsal and the AFS event.
The point is, there are many clubs, sports, and organizations in our school, run by very caring and dedicated teachers.  With all the news lately about union battles and budget cuts, sometimes it’s lost how much some teachers do for their school and their students.  And sometimes it’s lost how amazing some of the students in our school really are.  
Mrs. Bennet does not have to run the AFS program, Mr. Fitzpatrick doesn’t have to be the tennis coach, Mr. Denningham doesn’t have to run the drama program… but they do. 
We all know improvements need to be made to Pilgrim and to the school system in general… however stop for a moment and look around at what some of your teachers, coaches, and administrators to for you guys and your school. 
What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. It is really amazing what the teachers and administrators do for us students. I try to imagine how difficult high school would be without the clubs and sports that I take part in, and all I can see when I do envision this is a living hell. I would go to school, then go directly home. There is no fun in that whatsoever. High school is meant to be enjoyed. It has been stated before that these are our glory days; we have to enjoy them. For that, we greatly appreciate all that these great people do for us.

    Not to mention, us students can be some of the most fickle, stressed people you will ever meet, and, yet the teachers and administrators put that aside, and start clubs and coach sports, and put up with us on a daily basis. For example, when Mock Trial was almost cancelled because nobody showed up, I was devastated. I finally felt apart of some sort of activity that is competitive and has playoffs, and, unlike most people, I do not have the luxury of falling back on other sports. I appreciate the fact that it was not cancelled, and that we are one of the top ten teams in the state after our three trials. Also, when Mr. Denningham would threaten cancelling drama rehearsals, I would fret, as well. I loved the time I spent there, and did not want any of it to be taken away.

    In essence, with the way most of us act, I am genuinely surprised that teachers and administrators keep some of these clubs up-and-running. People show up late, get into verbal and/or physical fights, and, sometimes, use overly-inappropriate language; yet, the people who run these activities do not threaten us with the cancellation of the groups. If they do, however, we clean up our act, and get back to the work that the club, sport, or activity is supposed to be doing.

    -Jake M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is truly amazing what all the teachers and administrators do for students. Not just in Pilgrim, but in all other schools there are teachers that are truly dedicated to their job and to do whatever they can to help students. I am grateful for the teachers in my life that have helped to make me who I am today. I think people too often overlook teachers, and do not realize how much they actually do for us. Sometimes we just need to stop and take a second to say thank you for all your hard work and dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are a lot of awesome teachers at Pilgrim! I really mean it when I say that this year I have a few teachers that really care about how their students are doing in and out of school and are willing to put in the effort to help us make up work and improve our grades. I am very thankful to these teachers because they make school more enjoyable and more of a place students won’t mind coming to!

    ReplyDelete